Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal identifying information without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes.
It is important to keep your identifying information safe from these thieves. This includes your name, social security number, credit card number or driver's license number.
Ways to Prevent Identity Theft
- Obtain a copy of your credit report yearly from annualcreditreport.com.
- Shred documents that list your personal information, including statements, receipts, credit applications and offers, medical statements and bank checks.
- Keep your Social Security Card, Passport, Birth Certificate and other important documents locked in a safe or secure place. Do not carry them around with you.
- Before providing your social security number or other identifying information to verify your identity, confirm how it will be used and whether it will be shared with third parties.
- Used a locked mailbox and do not keep mail in the box overnight. Outgoing mail should be mailed from a post office and not left in an unsecured box.
If you Believe Your Information has Been Compromised
- Contact Rivermark as soon as possible. Please call 800.452.8502 during business hours and 800.472.3272 after hours.
- Contact your local police department.
- Contact the Social Security Administration's Fraud Hotline at 800.269.0271.
- Contact the DMV and passport office to see if an unauthorized driver's license or passport has been issued in your name.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission online.
- File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center online.
- Document the names and phone numbers of everyone you speak to, that way you can follow up and have copies of all correspondence.
Contact Information for Reporting Check Fraud
National Check Fraud Center
800.710.9898 or 503.927.0188
Equifax Check Systems
International Check Services
Protect Your Identity
In our digital world, it's more important than ever to safeguard personal information. Rivermark Insurance Agency has partnered with LifeLock to provide our members with comprehensive identity theft protection at a low price.Get a Quote