Holiday travel season is right around the corner and it can be a taxing time on your wallet. But you can save big on travel expenses with some forward planning. Here are some tips to save your cash.
- If you’re traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday, the best week to buy a plane ticket is the week of October 1st*.
- If you’re traveling over the Christmas holiday, the best week to buy a plane ticket is the week of October 15th.
- The best day to fly on is the actual holiday. Travelling on Thanksgiving saves you an average of 21% while flying on Christmas, saves you an average of 20%.
- Save some cash by checking one-way tickets on two different airlines. Sometimes booking two one-way tickets will save you more than a round trip on a single airline.
- If you are travelling with multiple people, check rates for one traveler at a time. Sometimes airlines will up the price of regular tickets when multiple tickets are booked together.
- Book your tickets and pay for travel expenses using a cash back credit card like the Rivermark Rewards Visa. Not only will you get cash back on your purchase, you’ll also be able to take advantage of the travel protection benefits offered by the card.
If you try to use your debit or credit card outside the US, your card will be blocked unless you let us know in advance. Please give us a call at 503.626.6600 or send us a secure message within Online Banking.
Be sure to include:
- Last four digits of your card
- Your travel dates
- All countries you are traveling to
We hope you have a happy and safe travel season (with some extra cash in your pocket, too!).