Summer is here and you want to be out enjoying the beautiful weather! There’s no need to break the budget to have fun. Here are some ideas to help you save up some cash.
1. Plan the next week’s meals. Planning meals ahead not only makes dinner easier each week, it’ll save you time and money. You’ll be less likely to eat out at restaurants and fast food, and you can plan a trip to the store in advance, knowing exactly what you need.
2. Hit up the library. Not only is the library a great resource for books, you also have access to a variety of films and television shows as well. Best of all? It’s free.
3. Get to know your car’s mechanics. Do you know how to change your car’s oil? What about a flat tire? These are great skills to have, will cost you nothing to learn and may even save you money in the long run.
4. Volunteer your time. There’s nothing more rewarding than giving back to the community. Spend time volunteering for causes close to you. Two local options Rivermark recommends is Children’s Book Bank and Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.
5. Clean out your closet. You may have items you don’t wear anymore that could be sold at a consignment store. Make room in your closet and make a few dollars in the process.
6. Look for events at local parks. There are public parks with free events all over the Portland area. Whether it’s a farmer’s market, a free concert or an outdoor movie, you’ll find no shortage of free activities all summer long.
7. Host a potluck with friends and neighbors. Want to have social event with friends, but don’t want to spend a lot of money? Potlucks are a great way to bring people together inexpensively. Every one chips in by bringing a dish or two and entertainment comes in the form of good company.
We hope you’ll take advantage of these money saving ideas. And don’t forget – Rivermark has a variety of accounts to help build up your savings. Set aside all the money you’ll be saving on weekend activities!